Connect with us

NFL

Breaking News : Okolie claims round-one TKO in debut at heavyweight….Read More

Published

on

Londoner Lawrence Okolie made a dream start to life as a heavyweight with a first-round win over Hussein Muhamed at Wembley’s OVO Arena.

The former cruiserweight world champion landed a well-timed counter-right hand to send Germany’s Muhamed to the canvas with 46 seconds left in the round.

Muhamed, like Okolie, had only been beaten once before but was clearly out of his depth. He rose to his feet on the count of eight and stumbled towards the referee, who smartly ignored the away fighter’s protests and waved off the contest.

“As soon as I hit them, they start going. I’m ready for the best in the world,” Okolie said.

The 31-year-old jumped up divisions after losing his WBO cruiserweight title to Chris Billam-Smith last year.

He won the WBC bridgerweight title in May, before signing with promoter Frank Warren and stepping up to heavyweight.

Okolie weighed in at a whopping 18st 6lb on Friday, two and half stone heavier than his previous fight and more than four stone than he did against Billam-Smith.

I felt tired having to make that [cruiserweight] – now I know every round I can be explosive and then recover,” Okolie explained.

The Hackney fighter has been criticised over the years for his excessive grappling and clinching – a style which, albeit often effective, resulted in many dull contests.

Though much tougher tests await, he delivered on his pre-fight promise of an explosive performance as Warren told the fighter to expect “big fights in 2025”.

In the main event, Denzel Bentley won the British and European middleweight titles and remained on course for a second world-title shot by outpointing Brad Pauls.

Bentley edged a competitive back-and-forth encounter and dropped Pauls in the 10th round with a seemingly innocuous jab.

Pauls was well supported with chants of ‘Newquay Bomb’ by his travelling Cornwall contingency, though there were a number of empty seats in the arena, presumably some fans who may have considered buying a ticket on the door put off by Storm Darragh.

All three judges scored it in favour of Bentley, who is still the number one challenger for WBO champion Janibek Alimkhanuly, having lost to the Kazakhstani in 2022.

Earlier in the night, David Adeleye sent a message to other British heavyweights with a stunning first-round stoppage win over the previously undefeated Solomon Dacres.

Joe Joyce and 2024 Team GB Olympian Delicious Orie watched from ringside as Adeleye unleashed a powerful lead left hook one minute and 20 seconds into the contest.

Joe Joyce and 2024 Team GB Olympian Delicious Orie watched from ringside as Adeleye unleashed a powerful lead left hook one minute and 20 seconds into the contest.

The punch skimmed Dacres’ head but appeared to scramble his senses as he crashed heavily into the ropes and to the canvas.

British and Commonwealth lightweight champion Sam Noakes continued his undefeated record with a dominant unanimous decision win over Ryan Walsh, after brother Sean Noakes had outpointed Matthew Rennie.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

NEWS2 hours ago

Update: Andy Reid steals two-time Super Bowl champion from NFL rival in huge move after Eagles hammering….Read More

NEWS2 hours ago

Breaking News: In a moment that lit up political chatter, President Donald Trump didn’t hesitate when asked about a fantasy face-off against Barack Obama in the 2028 presidential election. Speaking to Fox News’ Peter Doocy on April 1, 2025, Trump grinned and said, “I’d love that. Oh, I’d love that. That’d be a great one. I’d be all in for it…..See More

NEWS3 hours ago

Unbelievable: President Donald trump’s was insulted and humiliat by Belgian Prime Minister Bart De Wever reportedly responded to a provocative statement or policy from U.S. President Donald Trump with the quip, “Answering stupidity with stupidity is not wise….See More

NFL3 hours ago

Breaking News: Randi Mahomes, the mother of Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes, has openly shared the emotional complexities of raising a superstar athlete. One recurring theme in her reflections is the “mom guilt” she experiences—a deeply personal and relatable struggle for many parents…..Read More

ROYAL FAMILY4 hours ago

Breaking News: Prince William Stuns Royal Watchers by Hiring Princess Diana’s Divorce Lawyers In a surprising turn of events, Prince William has reportedly enlisted the services of the same legal team that represented his late mother, Princess Diana, during her high-profile divorce from King Charles III….Read More

NFL5 hours ago

Breaking News: Brittany Mahomes Was Denied a VIP Seat — So She Bought the Entire Theater Brittany Mahomes and her husband, Patrick, were excited for a quiet movie night, but when they were denied VIP seating at a luxury theater, things quickly went south. Rather than settle for disappointment, Patrick decided to take matters into his own hands—by buying out the entire theater for the night. What followed was a private, uninterrupted movie experience for the couple, proving that sometimes, an unexpected twist can turn a frustrating situation into something unforgettable…..Read More

CELEBRITY6 hours ago

Breaking News: Jennifer Lopez and her child Emme recently made a stylish appearance together, sporting coordinated outfits as they stepped out to support Lopez’s Out of Sight co-star George Clooney during his Broadway run…Read More

CELEBRITY12 hours ago

Just In: Whoopi Goldberg Sparks Heated Debate Over Trade War on ‘The View’ During a fiery segment on The View this week, co-host Whoopi Goldberg didn’t hold back as she voiced her frustration over the escalating tensions surrounding a potential trade war…..Read More

NEWS12 hours ago

Breaking News: Trump’s Tone-Deaf Response to Americans’ 401(k) Concerns: A Disconnect Amid Economic Turmoil As Americans watched their retirement savings erode in early 2025, President Donald Trump’s response to mounting concerns over 401(k) losses has been labeled by critics as strikingly tone-deaf…..Read More

CELEBRITY14 hours ago

Heartbroken: In a candid moment captured on camera, Kris shared the news with her daughters, Kim, Kourtney, Khloé, and Kylie, revealing that a routine checkup had uncovered an issue requiring immediate attention. “I never thought I’d be dealing with something like this,” Kris said through tears, her voice trembling as she described the overwhelming fear and uncertainty she felt. “You think you’re invincible until life throws you a curveball….See More

NFL14 hours ago

Breaking News: As the Chiefs prepare for the upcoming season, Reid and Kelce’s unified front sends a powerful message: the dynamic duo is here to stay, and they’re ready to take on all challengers in pursuit of another Super Bowl title….Read More

CELEBRITY14 hours ago

Latest: Jennifer Aniston’s latest public gesture toward Pedro Pascal has set off a wave of reactions among fans. Some view it as a playful nod to their shared Hollywood circle, while others speculate it hints at a deeper connection, fueling discussions across social media…..See More

Copyright © 2024 USApress24